What Exactly Is Civil Litigation?
Civil litigation is the process of taking legal action against another party. In simple terms, the civil courts in the United States are a dispute-resolution system.
Civil litigation begins when one side (the plaintiff) files a lawsuit and claims that an individual or entity has failed to fulfill a legal duty that it had to the plaintiff. A classic example of civil litigation is a contract dispute — when one side claims the other side did not fulfill terms of an agreement.
Civil lawsuits can be filed in state or federal court.
Traits Of A Skilled Civil Litigation Attorney
Effective civil litigators possess a skill set that includes:
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals, including clients, opposing attorneys and judges
- Ability to persuade, both in written and oral arguments
- Ability to negotiate effectively. Civil litigation is an ongoing process of negotiation. Civil cases are sometimes decided in a court trial, but the vast majority are resolved either before or even during trial.
- Ability to assess risk. An effective attorney is able to spell out the options available to the client and the level of risk that each option represents.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to difficult problems
On top of that, the attorneys at Jackson & Associates Law Firm also bring honesty, integrity, competence, creativity and passion.
How We Build A Solid Strategy
When you hire Jackson & Associates Law Firm, we will begin by asking questions and listening to your story. We will take the time to gain a complete understanding of you and your goals. We will explain your legal options and set expectations. Then we will build a legal strategy aimed at achieving the best possible result.
Contact Jackson & Associates
Are you in the midst of a dispute? The results of litigation can change the course of your life for years to come. At Jackson & Associates Law Firm in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, we represent individuals and entities in civil litigation. To schedule an appointment with one of our lawyers, call our office at 301-264-7082 or contact us online.